Thanks for choosing to participate in the 2020 WS WGP!
Please read "Rules for Entrants" below, look over the Advisor section if you'd like to double-check how the event is run, and then Register to be assigned a Regional to play in.
Register by November 10th! Last-minute applications, while allowed, are not guaranteed to get a spot in an online Regional!
Note that the event is greatly changed for this year due to the pandemic. For returning WGP attendees, read on to see the major changes (100% online, greatly increased prizing, no worlds flight or invitation). Due to travel restrictions, varying lockdown and event limitations between states/provinces, and a commitment to safety during these trying times has made for a number of changes to this event. Everyone is encouraged to read the whole document for rules and regulations.
Card Language / Format:
Japanese-language cards +
specific English sets (list coming soon) Neo-Standard Deck construction
Invite REQUIRED to play in the Nationals - you can win one at an event below, as well as a number of wild-card invitations chosen from the list of Regional Attendees!
Over $1000 in Prizes to attendees!
Every Regionals will have prizes distributed randomly to lucky players in that Regional: Points Items and/or Gift Certificates to stores local to that Regional.
For Nationals, even more prizes will be given away to players, including more points items as well as sealed WS product! winners of Nationals lucky-draw prizes will be drawn from the entire pool of Regionals attendees, so even if you didn't make it to Nationals, you are still eligible to win!
Also, Bushiroad will be supplying a special prize to the Top 3 at Nationals! (stay turned for updates)
Also also, WGP PR Cards will also be available for all attendees! So, let's all have a fun and relaxing event together!
Phoenix - Friday, Nov 13th 6 PM AZ Time Zone Dragon Girl TCG
City of Industry - Sunday, Nov 22 6 PM Nova TCG
La Puente - Saturday, Nov 28 1 PM Card Arena
Santa Clara - Saturday, Nov 21 3 PM Legends Comics and Games
Kennesaw - Sunday, Nov 15 5:30 PM Win Condition Games
Honolulu - Saturday, Nov 14 7 PM ToyLynx
Perrysville - Saturday, Nov 21 4 PM Family Time Games
Bangor - Sunday, Nov 15 4 PM Central Maine WS
Abington - Friday, Nov 13 6 PM Battleground Games & Hobbies Abington
Las Vegas - Sunday, Nov 15 3 PM Darkside Games
Rochester - Sunday, Nov 29 1 PM Hammergirl Anime
Flushing - Saturday, Nov 21 1 PM Card Quest Inc.
Reynoldsburg - Saturday, Nov 14 1 PM Ohio WS Playgroup
West Warwick - Sunday, Nov 22 1 PM Reality A Games
Sugar Land - Saturday, Nov 28 1 PM Infinity Cards
Essex Junction - Sunday, Nov 15 11 AM Black Knight Comics
Renton - Sunday, Nov 15 12:00 Noon Shane's Card
Note that these events are completely online, and run by an organizer new to the Online format, and so the cooperation of all players is essential to the successful completion of these events.
HotC reserves the right to have official observers attend to help facilitate events.
Players will have a choice of 15 different PR cards for virtually attending, picked up at their locals or (if that isn't possible) mailed directly! Once you sign up, log in with your Confirmation Code to pick the ones you want the most!
Rules for Entrants
Players need to register on the Register page. Of the regionals they list, one will be selected for them to play at based on max attendance, distance, and availability, and they will be emailed the Regional and the Discord server link.
Players need to register on the Register page. Of the regionals they list, one will be selected for them to play at, and they will be emailed the Regional and the Discord server link.
Players will be playing in double-elimination events run online via Discord. Players must be able to connect to a Discord server, read and understand instructions from an advisor, change their nickname, connect to a named player to play a match via webcam, report to that advisor the results of that match, and send a photo of their deck upon request via discord or email.
Step by Step Regional Instructions for Players
Players will be sent a discord link to their Regional Server. They should:
- Connect to the server an hour before the beginning of the event,
- Change their nickname to their full name,
- @ the listed advisor to say they are checking in,
- DM a photo of your deck (all 50 cards face up in one pic, multiples can overlay, no bootleg or unlicensed card supplies, see examples here and here) to the Advisor, and
- Shuffle up while awaiting round pairings.
- Once paired, they should DM their opponent to set up a video call, and play each other. Rock Paper Scissors, explain cards as you play them, enjoy the game.
- When the match is done, thank your opponent for the match, and report to the advisor with your name and if you won or lost (good example: "Shiyoko won". bad example: "I won").
- If this is your second loss, you have been eliminated. No worries, though, you are still in for all the prize draws.
- If you have one or less losses, wait for the next round pairings, and so on.
Players must play promptly, aiming to end their game within 35 minutes. Should a game go over 45 minutes, both players should report to the advisor that their game is going long, why it is going long, and strive to finish it as soon as possible. Should a game, for any reason, go over 50 minutes, HotC staff reserves the right to give a Slow Play Game Loss to one or both players depending on the situation. Nobody wants that. So, everyone, let's play promptly.
Library should remain within the opponent's view at all times. When offering a cut, a player may ask you to reshuffle in a specific way: "please riffle shuffle your Library", "please cut it into thirds and stack them as follows", and so on. A player may ask for a count of cards in the deck, and give a number to cut to.
Should you have a ruling question, contact the advisor. If there is a fixable play error, and both players are okay with it, you may fix it and play on without contacting the advisor.
Players are allowed to record their game, and my do so without expressly notifying their opponent. Playing in this event means that you allow your opponent to record your game without express permission.
Players are limited in the number of Regionals they may play in. This number is based on the total requested player capacity of the Regional advisors. Should players be able to play in more than one Regional, the decision of who and how many will be made based on random draw and availability, with HotC striving to give all players as equal an opportunity as possible.
Players and advisors may stream matches with the express permission of the players being streamed. You are allowed to withhold permission to be streamed without explanation. All streams must have at least a 5 minute delay, and the players being streamed may not take in information of any kind from streams or those watching them.
For this event, players should play in good-faith with one another - the vast majority of prizes of monetary value being given away are done so randomly. There is no flight this year, there is no invite this year. We hope players take this opportunity to play some fun and exciting games with each other, advisors take this opportunity to connect with their locals and have a stress-free event, and HotC to give out some free stuffs. :)
Players must play in their event until completion to be eligible for promos and prizes. If a person does not want to participate, but still wants promos, they can alert their regional organizer to be placed on a list requesting promos as a spectator. Should PRs still be available after distribution to players, they will be able to pick them up from their locals.
Multiple Regional Rules
If you are in multiple regionals, the following rules apply.
- you do not get additional PRs for being in multiple regionals. Your PRs will get transferred to you in the manner you have requested just like normal.
- if you win a spot in a regional, you may not play in future regionals for that season.
- All Japanese Titles are allowed, other than Macross F, Girl Friend Beta, School Girl Strikers, Godzilla, Star Wars, Jojo's, Lost Decade.
- The English versions of Cardcaptor Sakura, Batman, Adventure Time, and Mob Psycho (and possibly others, stay tuned for updates) are allowed, and must follow their respective restriction lists, available here. Other English cards, and English versions of Japanese cards, are not allowed.
- All cards in a deck must be the same language.
How to Register
Registration is required for entry. Address is used for prize delivery and geographical regional priority. Advisor / Winner Manual
This year, due to the nature of the event, you have a lot of leeway in how you run things. You can have a chat area, not have a chat area, stream, not stream, it's up to you. Run things how your locals like things, as long as you follow a few rules.
Steps to Run Your Regional
- Use a private discord for the event. Keep the invite private other than for HotC and your staff: We will distribute it to your players for you.
- Drop us a line an hour before the regional.
- Behavior standards for both players and staff is treated the same way as it would be for an in-person regional.
- Use the online Regional software, dropping players who receive their second loss.
- There are not hard time limits for matches. Players are asked to play promptly. If a match takes over 45 minutes, check in with them. 50, check in with us - everyone needs to have a discussion as to whether someone is getting a Slow Play Loss, and no one wants that.
- We'll let you know if and when deck checks happen.
- When you finish your sixth round, or you finish a round and there is only one undefeated player left, you are done - everyone still in (one or less losses) gets an invite to Nationals! Email us their discord names and tags, and send along the photos of the decks that were undefeated and the names of their players as well.
- Any other questions, let us know!